Do not let your heart be troubled. Trust in God your Father; trust also in Me. There are many dwelling places in My Father’s house. I am going there to prepare a place for you; I would not tell you this if it were not so. When everything is ready, I will come back and take you to be with Me, and you will then forever be with Me where I am. [Jesus…John 14:1-3]
EMMAUS COMMISSION FORUM: March 29th
WHY DO I EXIST?
There are 3 indisputable facts concerning everyone who is present here that are absolutely true…that no one here would dispute, or question, or disagree with, or have a different opinion about. Everyone here would agree with these 3 facts…and everyone, everywhere, would agree with these 3 facts without question:
- 1] I am alive; I exist; I have a pulse; I am living and I am breathing; I am not dead.
- 2] Death is a certainty; my body is going to physically die and end up in a grave.
- 3] I do not know when I am going to die. I do not know how much time remains until the death of my body…whether tomorrow, or another week, a month, a year, a decade or multiple decades. This is true no matter what my age is right now…even if I am just a child. Your real age is how much time you have from this moment until the death of your body. A child who is going to die tomorrow or a year from now is much older than a 70 year old who is going to live another decade. So no one really knows their true age.
My brother, 36 years old and just married 1 year, didn’t know when he had only 10 seconds left to live in his life.
Faye Swetlick…just 6 years old…didn’t know when she had only an hour left in her life to live.
Col. McGuckin, a fighter pilot who wrote a book entitled “Split Second From Hell” after he had received God’s free gift of eternal life, said that is where he lived all those years prior as a fighter pilot.
The single most important question I am faced with in life is, “What happens after death?” There are only 2 possible answers:
- 1] I cease to exist; I no longer exist; I pass into oblivion, never again to be.
- 2] My existence continues; it does not end. I continue to exist…forever.
Everyone has an opinion as to what happens after death…although there are some who have never considered this question, and may well answer, “I don’t know.” But even these would probably hazard some sort of a guess if asked…whatever would come to their mind at that moment.
For the sake of discussion…to choose a number…there are 100 different opinions in answer to this question. Some would have the opinion that existence ends and I am no more. That would be 1 of the 100 different opinions. All others who then have the overall opinion that my existence does not end but continues on…would have 99 differing opinions as to where I would be in my continuing existence, and in what form would I exist:
- 1] Some would hold differing opinions, but all based on reincarnation…that I would come back into this physical realm in the form of another living being. Depending upon the benevolent quality of my current life, I may come back as an influential leader, an animal, a bird or a fish, a reptile or an insect, or even a plant. And that process would continually repeat at the end of each new life cycle, over and over again.
- 2] Some would hold differing opinions, but all based on a continued existence in the spirit realm…as angels, or free wandering spirits.
- 3] Some hold opinions that everyone would exist in a wonderful and joyous place… such as a “Happy Hunting Grounds” or “Heaven.”
- 4] Some hold the opinion of eternal existence in 1 of 2 places…either Heaven or Hell. All of these opinions, except one, are dependent on merit; the opinion of the one exception is not dependency on merit, but rather on exercising their right to choose to accept the free gift of eternal life in Heaven offered to everyone.
There are 100 different opinions as to what happens after death, but only 1 of these opinions, at best, can be correct…the actual, factual, truth of what really does take place after death. Furthermore…there are 100 different opinions as to what happens after death, but only 1 of these opinions embraces Jesus Christ as a Divine Being…God Himself in the flesh…the Divine Son of God…fully human by virtue of a miraculous conception apart from a human father, and fully Divine as a member of the Holy Trinity that is God. All other belief systems that embrace the Person of Jesus Christ embrace Him as a man only…a good man, a prophet, etc. The problem is…and the reason there are 100 different opinions…is that no one can prove with factual evidence that their opinion is the correct one. You can’t prove to me that your opinion is correct, and I can’t prove to you that my opinion is correct. There are only opinions, and no one can offer undeniable proof of the factual truth of their opinion.
That being the case, there are 2 overriding questions everyone needs to consider concerning life’s single most important question, “What happens after death?”…
- 1] What is the source for your opinion; on what are you basing your opinion? Is your opinion your “gut feeling?” Is it based on supporting written documentation underlying all that its teaching embraces? How authoritative and reliable is the source…the author of the written documentation?
- 2] What are the consequences to you if your opinion is wrong, and someone else’s opinion is the right one?
My opinion is based on what the Bible teaches about existence after death…an eternal existence in either one of 2 neighborhoods…Heaven or Hell. Heaven is a place of eternal bliss together with God; Hell is a place of eternal, intense, and unceasing torment in a blazing lake of fire, together with Satan and his demonic beings.
- Which neighborhood I will live in for all eternity is not based on merit, but rather solely and only on relationship with Jesus the Christ.
- The authority claimed by the Bible is that it was written by God Himself through selected chosen human authors, who wrote what He revealed to them, and is therefore entirely without error [infallible]. The Bible was written over a period of time from 2,000-3,500 years ago, and year after year is always on the best seller list.
- No other source on this subject of “what happens after death” claims to be written by God Himself, has been in existence for anywhere near as long a period of time, and continually outsells every other book. There is literally nothing like it in all the world. It has shaped every facet of the human experience: literature, the arts, law, education, science, politics, and human relations. It is ancient, yet ever new. No other belief system’s written documentation has influenced human experience down through the ages anywhere remotely near what the Bible has done.
One of the criminals hanging beside Jesus hurled insults at Him: “Aren’t You the Christ? Save Yourself and us!” But the other criminal rebuked him, saying, “Don’t you fear God, since you are under the same sentence of death? We deserve to die for our crimes, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.” Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when You come into Your Kingdom.” Jesus answered him, “I tell you the truth, today you will be with Me in paradise.” [Luke 23:39-43]
The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” [Ps 14:1]
God is the Captain of the ship coming to rescue you. If you are out there in the middle of the ocean, shipwrecked, clinging to a piece of wood trying to survive the wind and the waves threatening to engulf you, nothing but ocean as far as the eye can see… you know beyond the shadow of any doubt there is no hope for you unless someone comes to your rescue. Then off in the distance you see a speck on the horizon, coming toward you, and you see that it is a ship. As you frantically wave your arm that they would see you, hope wells up as you realize they do see you! As the ship draws near, the Captain of the ship… God Himself…throws a life preserver to you. But you ignore the life preserver and push it away, as you continue to thrash about in the water. So God the Captain reels in the life preserver and throws it out again to you. Again, you ignore it and push it away. The Captain keeps on reeling it in and casting it back out to you, but you keep on refusing to take hold of it…until finally, you sink into the waters of the ocean and drown. That life preserver is Jesus the Christ. If you drown, was it the Captain who caused you to drown? No…He was trying to save you! And if you sink down into Hell, was it the Captain who sent you there? No…He was trying to save you, but you wouldn’t have it…you refused to take hold of the life preserver Jesus the Christ!
Here, in summary, is the full spectrum of Mankind’s existence:
God is Love.
My reason for creating you is Love.
My purpose in creating you is relationship; I made you for Myself.
I provided the way for your eternal Sacred Covenant relationship with Me.
I adopted you into My Family, as My Own child.
I, God the Father, am your Father; you are My child…the apple of My eye.
Jesus, God the Son, is your Husband; you are the bride of Christ My Divine Son.
Christ Jesus is also your Savior, your Lord, your brother.
God the Holy Spirit is your Master; you are His bond-servant.
Heaven is your eternal home.
I have eternal plans for you during your allotted time on Earth.
I have prepared a promised rest for you, both now on Earth & eternally in Heaven.
People are afraid to think about, to talk about, what happens after death. They don’t want to have to consider it, to deal with it. Ignoring the question, though, does not change the reality of death and what actually does happen after death. All it does is keep you from answering life’s most important question, and coming to an informed conclusion and comfortable opinion about it. Death, of course, seals your fate. Whatever the actual reality of what lies on the other side of life as you enter death is unalterable, unchangeable, irreversible.
What if someone told you that an eternal existence with God in a place called Heaven is real, and you can know right now, with absolute certainty, beyond the shadow of any doubt, that is where you will be after death? Wouldn’t you want to at least hear about it, at least consider it? Even though from your point of view, it is still only an opinion and can’t be proven…what belief system makes this claim? The same belief system that also claims that Hell is real, and you can know right now, with absolute certainty, beyond the shadow of any doubt, whether that is where you will be after death. And these are the only two neighborhoods that are available.
If you were to die tonight, do you know where you will be for all eternity? Only 1 of these 100 belief systems allows you the right to choose your eternal destiny…Heaven or Hell…here and now, with absolute certainty beyond the shadow of any doubt. You can choose your eternal destiny right now and know at this moment, for sure, beyond the shadow of any doubt, in which neighborhood you will be after death.
As for myself, I embrace the teachings of the Bible…and as for yourself, do you rather embrace any one of the other 99 belief systems? There are some belief systems that claim everyone will end up in Heaven. Without exception…no matter what the quality of your life on Earth is or has been. The problem with embracing this opinion is, What if this opinion is wrong? What are the consequences to you if this opinion is wrong?
If my opinion is right, I will have gained EVERYTHING…God’s free gift of an eternal life of immeasurable, unimaginable, bliss with God in Heaven! If my opinion is wrong…I will not have lost very much at all…maybe some sinful pleasures I would have liked to indulge in, but refrained from doing so because God prohibits doing them. Regardless of these “negative” consequences though, I would have lived a good benevolent quality of life among my fellow human beings.
If your opinion is right, you will have gained whatever your belief system describes; If your opinion is wrong, you will not only have lost EVERYTHING, but also you will suffer unceasing eternal torment in the lake of blazing fire that is Hell…where you will never die nor be consumed…reserved for those who refused, or ignored, God’s free gift of eternal life.
Friends, brothers and sisters…
There is one absolutely necessary preparation for every living soul on the face of this Earth, for the soon coming and imminent return of Jesus Christ…the one preparation that will irrevocably determine in which neighborhood you will spend all eternity, whether in Heaven or in Hell. You must be a born-again child of God. I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot be in God’s Kingdom. I tell you the truth, no one can ever enter the Kingdom of God unless you are born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at My saying you must be born again. [Jesus…John 3:3-7]
If you have never been born again,
or you are not sure whether you have been born again,
or you have been living your life as a lukewarm Christian and would now like to recommit your life and enter into a deep and intimate relationship with Christ Jesus in preparation for the soon coming marriage supper of the Lamb…
then I counsel you to get alone with God, read the solemn marriage vows you must make to become the bride of Christ and thereby be born-again, [https://preservechristianfamily.org/2019/01/21/bride-of-christ/], and with sincerity of heart from within the depths of your being, acknowledge before God, “I DO.”
Leaning on the everlasting arms: