This is what the Lord says…your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: I am the Lord your God, Who teaches you what is best for you, Who directs you along the paths you should follow. If only you would just listen and pay attention to what I tell you, your peace and prosperity will flow onward like a gentle river, your righteousness like the rolling waves of the sea. [Triune God…Isa 48:17-18]
Brothers and sisters in Christ…
We have been writing about how absolutely necessary it is in our spiritual life to wait upon God, how it is the single most important habit of my spiritual life, and the only way I am enabled to live my everyday life in the Power of the Holy Spirit. This past Saturday morning, well before daybreak during my time alone together with my Father at our trysting place just to commune with Him, I was deeply impressed by the Spirit of God, at this point of our Journey of Faith, not to proceed any further until presenting the following guiding principles on just how a soul actually goes about waiting upon God. I would suggest you review this every day during your Journey of Faith, until you make these principles your own.
Foundational principles of waiting upon God: Part 1
A] My waiting upon God:
B] God revealing
C] My cooperating and responding
Wait upon God in quietness. In my life of intimate relationship with God, I must become quiet and still before God, separated from all activities, so that God, as God, can overshadow me with Himself. In stillness of body, emptiness of soul, and silence of my natural human spirit…I need to prepare myself to enter into the Presence of God with no other object or purpose but simply to wait upon Him, to worship Him for Who He is, and to adore Him in His awesome Majesty and Glory. Abba Father, I come to our trysting place to meet with You every day, just to be alone together with You and to enjoy spending time together with You…just to love You and worship You, to commune with You and wait upon You. This is my life; I have no other desire.
- I need to bring stillness to my body, separated from all activities…separated from all family and friends, all responsibilities and projects, all the cares, concerns and routines engaging my life, all involvement with the things of the world, all of self and its energy of both mind and body.
- I need to empty my soul of the entirety of the powers of the flesh that reside therein…all the thoughts of my mind, all the feelings of my emotions, all the inclinations of my will.
- I need to silence my natural human spirit with all of its leadings and promptings… all of its affections, attractions, desires and purposes…with all of its controlling desires to determine and direct the selection of my everyday activities, as well as the overriding goals for the course of my life.
- I need to embrace the Word of the Lord, “Be still, and know that I am God.” [Ps 46:10]
Wait upon God with my heart. Having laid aside the powers of my flesh residing within my body, my soul, my natural human spirit…I need now open my heart before God.
- My soul is not capable of having any personal contact with God. It is in my heart God has given His Holy Spirit, to be there to me the Presence and the Power of God working in me. Only in my heart, wherein God has given His Holy Spirit, am I capable of having personal contact with God…to commune with Him, and experience Him, and come to personally know Him. I need only present my heart before Him, as that wonderful part of my natural human spirit wherein God has placed His Holy Spirit, where God reveals Himself to me through His Indwelling Spirit. In all my spiritual life, it is my heart that must trust and love and worship and obey. My soul…wherein resides my mind with its thoughts, my emotions with its feelings, my will with its inclinations…is utterly impotent in creating or maintaining spiritual life within me; my heart must wait in faith and trust upon God for Him to work it in me.
- What does it mean, “to open my heart before God?” It means to bow my heart before Him in holy silence…yearning for every indication of His Divine Presence, listening for every revelation of His Divine Will, looking for and expecting the fulfillment of every Divine Promise, longing to see His Face and to hear His voice. It is an attitude within my heart wherein…”My heart yearns to linger in Your Presence, Lord, just sitting at Your feet; as the deer pants for water-brooks, so my soul thirsts for You, O Lord; Whom have I in Heaven but You, Lord, and Earth has nothing I desire besides You.“
- The much needed lesson for all who desire to learn truly and fully what waiting on God is: It is with my heart I must wait upon God. “As a man’s heart is, so he is before God.” All of my waiting depends upon the state of my heart. I can advance no further or deeper into the Holy place of God’s Presence to wait on Him there, than my heart is prepared for it by the Holy Spirit. Remember always the eternal difference between knowing with my mind and embracing with my heart: I need only give my whole heart, with its secret workings, into God’s hands continually; in its hidden depths God will work. He wants my heart, and takes it, and as God dwells in it.
- Remember the Lord’s admonition: “These people come near to Me with their mouth and honor Me with their lips, but their hearts are far from Me.” [Isa 29:13-14] Therefore, embrace the Word of the Lord, “Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” [Matt 6:21]
Wait upon God in Faith. Having opened my heart before God…I need now wait before God with a child-like trust in Him, and a child-like dependence upon Him.
- Child-like trust is an attitude of my heart wherein I willingly entrust unto God all that I am, all that I have, all that I ever hope to be. My heart embraces the truth that nothing can touch my life apart from what God Personally causes or specifically allows to happen…and that He makes all things work together for my good. And, I willingly give God complete control over my life, to determine and direct the selection of my everyday activities, as well as the overriding goals for the course of my life. This was the attitude in Christ Jesus, Who said, “I only do what My Father shows Me to do; I only speak the words My Father gives Me to speak.“
- The Lord is my light and my salvation…whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life…of whom shall I be afraid? Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me. Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever! Precious Lord…I know in Whom I have believed, and I am persuaded that You are more than able to keep and to guard that which I have entrusted unto You until that Day! [Ps 27:1; 23:4-6; 2 Tim 1:12b] And so Christ’s steadfast love for me…so amazing, so Divine… constrains me…it demands my soul, my life, my all… because I am convinced that One died for all, and therefore all died. And since He died for all, I who now live joined together with Him in a Sacred Covenant relationship can no longer live for myself, but for Him Who died for me and was raised again. [2 Cor 5:14-15]
- I will never know the quality of my trust until I am in the fire, beset by a fiery trial testing my faith. It’s easy to say that I trust the Lord when all is well…but when I’m in the fire, do I trust Him then? It is there where I learn, or fail, to embrace the words, “Lord, I don’t understand…but I trust. I know that You are the Sovereign All-Ruler over all Creation, and that You Personally cause, or specifically, consciously, and deliberately allow all things…all for Your Own good purposes. All that You do is necessarily the very best, very kindest, most loving thing that can possibly be for me. And though I don’t understand, even so, I trust You…that You do indeed make all things work together for my good. I will trust, and not be afraid. I will be strong and of a good courage; I will not be afraid, neither will I be dismayed. For the Lord my God is with me whithersoever I goest.” [Jos 1:9]
- Child-like dependence is an attitude of my heart wherein I look with a confident expectation to the Holy Spirit to BE ALL in me, and to DO ALL in me. I have ceased trying to conduct my everyday activities in the powers of my flesh…in reliance upon my human capabilities and capacities, by my own efforts and my own strength, according to my own wisdom, knowledge and understanding. I look to the Holy Spirit to lead, guide, and direct my use of the powers of the flesh, but put no trust in their conclusions apart from the confirmation of the Spirit. This attitude embraces the words of the Lord, “Apart from Me, you can do nothing that is good or pleasing or acceptable to God.” [John 15:5]
- I will never know the quality of my dependence until I refuse to move ahead on a course of action unless my ears hear Your voice behind me, saying, “This is the way; walk ye in it.” In the confident assurance in God which faith gives, I am ever to remember one thing above all…to wait upon God. My chief need in waiting upon God, one of the deepest secrets of its blessedness and blessing, is a quiet, confident persuasion that it is not in vain; courage to believe that God will hear and help. I am waiting upon a God Who never could disappoint His people! In the utter insufficiency of all human strength, “Be strong and let thine heart take courage.” I am to let NOTHING in Heaven or Earth or Hell…let NOTHING keep me from waiting on my God in full assurance that it cannot be in vain!
Wherefore, brethren, having now boldness to enter into the Holiest by the Blood of Jesus, by the way which He dedicated for me…a new and living way to God through the veil, that is to say, through the veil of His flesh…I will then without further hesitation or delay draw nigh in fullness of faith; here will I continually abide in the fullness of faith. [Heb 10:19-20, 22]
Friends, brothers and sisters…
There is one absolutely necessary preparation for every living soul on the face of this Earth, for the soon coming and imminent return of Jesus Christ…the one preparation that will irrevocably determine in which neighborhood you will spend all eternity, whether in Heaven or in Hell. You must be a born-again child of God. I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot be in God’s Kingdom. I tell you the truth, no one can ever enter the Kingdom of God unless you are born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at My saying you must be born again. [Jesus…John 3:3-7]
If you have never been born again,
or you are not sure whether you have been born again,
or you have been living your life as a lukewarm Christian and would now like to recommit your life and enter into a deep and intimate relationship with Christ Jesus in preparation for the soon coming marriage supper of the Lamb…
then I counsel you to get alone with God, read the solemn marriage vows you must make to become the bride of Christ and thereby be born-again, [https://preservechristianfamily.org/2019/01/21/bride-of-christ/], and with sincerity of heart from within the depths of your being, acknowledge before God, “I DO.”
How Deep the Father’s Love For Us: