Surely I have calmed and quieted my soul. As a child lies quietly in its mother’s arms, just like a young child on its mother’s lap, so my heart is quiet within me. My soul finds rest in God alone; my protection and deliverance comes from You, Father. You alone are my sure foundation and my help. You are my tower of strength; I will never be shaken. Why then should I be tense with fear when troubles come? [Ps 131:2; 62:1-2]
Foundational principles of waiting upon God: Part II
A] My waiting upon God:
B] God revealing
C] My cooperating and responding
Wait upon God in absolute surrender. Having awakened my faith in a God Who has never failed me, and never will…I need now surrender to God all that I am, all that I have, all that I ever hope to be.
- Here is where I surrender to God the entirety of the powers of my flesh…all the thoughts of my mind, the feelings of my emotions, the inclinations of my will, all of my human capabilities and capacities, my efforts and strength, my wisdom, knowledge, and understanding…and acknowledge that I put no trust in them. Here is where I bow before the Spirit of God in acknowledgment that by my own will and in my own strength, I am hopelessly powerless, hopelessly impotent, hopelessly helpless to do anything, or say anything, that is good or pleasing or acceptable to my Father. In absolute surrender, I wait upon the Holy Spirit to place me where I am to be, lead me where I am to go, show me what I am to do, give me the thoughts I am to think and present, and the words I am to speak or write. This is the place where, in every decision I must make, I am determined to “Trust in the Lord with all my heart, and lean not on my own understanding. In all my ways, I will acknowledge Him, and He shall direct my paths.” [Prov 3:5]
- I cannot be more emphatic concerning the following principle; it is absolutely fundamental…the difference between success and failure in hearing the voice of the Lord speaking to me. Whenever I am faced with making a decision, and I decide that I am going to wait on the Lord for His direction, I always have a preference, in my humanness, as to what I would like His direction to be. It is something like, “I am waiting to hear from You, Lord…but I hope the answer is such and such.” It is here that I must pray against my preference…and pray against it, and pray against it…pleading with the Lord to not let me have it if not His will for me. I need to continue to pray against my preference, until I know in my heart, and can say in all sincerity to the Lord, and know that I mean it, “Lord, it doesn’t matter to me anymore what Your answer is, just show me plainly, clearly, beyond the shadow of any doubt what I am to do. It no longer matters to me where You place me, or how. That is rather for You to consider than for me. For in the easiest position, still, You must give me Your grace, and in the most difficult, Your grace is more than sufficient. It is enough for me, knowing that You know why You place me where I am…whether to do, or to learn, or just, perhaps, to suffer. It no longer matters to me what I do or what I suffer. All that matters is that You keep my heart lovingly and joyfully joined with Your will.” Then I will most assuredly hear the voice of the Lord in my heart, “This is the way; walk ye in it.” If I don’t get to this place of absolute surrender, and know that I really mean it…that it really doesn’t matter anymore…I will NEVER hear the voice of the Lord. I will only hear the voice of my own heart giving me my preference, and deceiving me into believing it is the voice of the Lord.
Wait upon God in worship. Having now entered the place of humility and stillness and surrender…wholly surrendered unto God, wholly given for the blessing and salvation of souls…I now wait before God’s Spirit until He has quickened my faith and consciousness that He does indeed dwell in me…does indeed fill me…and that He will indeed perfect His work in me.
- Then, in the Power of the Holy Spirit, I worship God for Who He is; praise Him for all He has done for the souls of mankind down through the ages; thank Him for all He has Personally done for me. I prostrate my inmost being before You, Father. I behold You with an awe-filled regard and bow before You with the utmost reverence and respect; my soul yearns just to linger in Your Presence, Lord…just sitting at Your feet. I adore You, Lord, for Your fathomless love You have so graciously lavished upon me. I admire Your Supreme Excellence and Your Sovereign Majesty. I offer up unto You my entire being…my body, soul, and spirit…as a living sacrifice, wholly surrendered unto You, wholly given for the blessing and salvation of souls. All Glory belongs to You, the One True Living God; You alone are worthy of all blessing and honor; Eternal thanks and unceasing praise are Your rightful due! Hallelujah!
Wait upon God in prayer. Worship is always first, before anything else. I am always to “Enter His gates with thanksgiving, and come into His courts with praise!” [Ps 100:4]
When I come to my Lord’s Throne of Grace, I am first of all to worship Him there, then call on His great Name and mighty Power in prayer.
- I need to pray in the Spirit, in faith, for His Mighty Power to come down to bear upon the concerns I am bringing before Him. Call on His Great Name and Mighty Power “on all occasions with every and all kinds of prayers and requests.” [Eph 6:18] Embrace His mighty working in my inner man, that I may be filled to overflowing with the abiding Presence of Christ Jesus. Then wait in stillness of soul for God to reveal Himself, His plans, His purposes, His will, concerning the matters I have brought before Him. Wait before the Spirit of God…to place me where I am to be, lead me where I am to go, show me what I am to do to participate with Him in His work, give me the thoughts I am to think and present, and the words I am to speak or write. Be careful not to proceed without His leading, and be prepared to respond with an unquestioning child-like obedience to His every leading and prompting. My soul, wait thou only upon God!
B) God revealing
What wait I for? I am waiting to hear from God…for Him to reveal to me His plans, His purposes, His will concerning the matters I have brought before Him, and a deeper revelation of Who He is. I am waiting on the Holy Spirit to illuminate my mind to spiritual things…to open the Scriptures to my understanding. I am waiting on the Spirit to worship through me, to pray through me. I am waiting for the leading and guiding of the Holy Spirit…in every activity of my life. I am not to proceed with any course for my life in reliance upon my human capabilities and capacities, by my own efforts or in my own strength, according to my own wisdom or knowledge or understanding. It is the Holy Spirit, Who dwells in me, Who is to BE ALL and DO ALL through me, with me, in me. I am to walk in the Spirit…He is the One Who rules and reigns on the throne of my heart, Personally living out the life of Christ Jesus in me…a life of obedience and suffering, self-sacrifice and self-denial. And He Personally works out the death of Jesus in me, conforming me ever more deeply into the likeness of His death…death to sin and death to self…in order that I may thereby attain, more and more, to the Power of His resurrection life out from the dead…the power to walk through each and every day as more than a conqueror and with overwhelming victory.
- The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man’s own spirit within him? In the same way, no one knows the mind and thoughts of God…only the Spirit of God. [1 Cor 2:10-12]
- This is what the Lord says…your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: “I am the Lord your God, Who teaches you what is best for you, Who directs you in the way you should go. I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you. Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, ‘This is the way; walk ye in it'” The Lord will guide you always; He will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail! [Isa 48:17; Ps 32:8; Isa 30:21-22, 58:11]
- I will praise the Lord, Who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. My soul waits for the Lord…more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning! Let the morning bring me word of Your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in You. Show me the way I should go, for to You I lift up my soul. [Ps 16:7; 130:6; 143:8]
- “For I [Jesus] have come down from Heaven not to do My Own will and purpose, but to do the will and purpose of Him Who sent Me.” [John 6:38]
C) My cooperating and responding
What is the reason why I am waiting upon God? What is the purpose of my waiting upon God? Here is the consummation of all this watching and waiting and listening… the fulfillment of my waiting upon God and His revealing to me is…SO I MAY THEN RESPOND. All is for naught if I fail to respond, with an unquestioning child-like obedience, to every leading and prompting of the Holy Spirit, cooperating with the Power of His enabling grace Who works in me both to will and to do. It is not necessary for me to understand; I am to respond with an unquestioning child-like obedience. And, it is absolutely fundamental…the difference between success and failure…that I do not try to respond in the power of my flesh…which is in reliance upon my human capabilities and capacities, by my own efforts or in my own strength, according to my own wisdom or knowledge or understanding. I am to respond in the Power of the Spirit, cooperating with His enabling grace as He Himself works in me both to will and to do…both the desire to obey my Father’s will, and the power to do His will.
- Jesus saith to them, “My food is, that I may do the will of Him Who sent Me, and may finish His work.” [John 4:34]
“I do as the Father has commanded Me, so that the world may know that I love the Father and that I do only what the Father has instructed Me to do. [I act in full agreement with His orders.]” [John 14:31]
“But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.” [John 14:26]
Not in your own strength…for it is God Who is all the while effectually at work in you, energizing and creating in you the power and desire, both to will and to do for His good pleasure and satisfaction and delight. [Phil 2:13]
Friends, brothers and sisters…
There is one absolutely necessary preparation for every living soul on the face of this Earth, for the soon coming and imminent return of Jesus Christ…the one preparation that will irrevocably determine in which neighborhood you will spend all eternity, whether in Heaven or in Hell. You must be a born-again child of God. I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot be in God’s Kingdom. I tell you the truth, no one can ever enter the Kingdom of God unless you are born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at My saying you must be born again. [Jesus…John 3:3-7]
If you have never been born again,
or you are not sure whether you have been born again,
or you have been living your life as a lukewarm Christian and would now like to recommit your life and enter into a deep and intimate relationship with Christ Jesus in preparation for the soon coming marriage supper of the Lamb…
then I counsel you to get alone with God, read the solemn marriage vows you must make to become the bride of Christ and thereby be born-again, [https://preservechristianfamily.org/2019/01/21/bride-of-christ/], and with sincerity of heart from within the depths of your being, acknowledge before God, “I DO.”
Jesus Lover Of My Soul: